Listings for Lee Tumblers

Related Lee Tumblers information

Tried out my new shells!!!

d*rcy32171 said: Made my first batch of shells for my 22-250!! I made 4 with 34.5gr IMR4895 and Hornady 55gr bullets. The other 4 were 35gr IMR 4895 and Hornady 55gr bullets. With either shells, there were no signs of over pressure, but the 35gr were all over the target. Closest out of the 4 35gr were 2 which were maybe an inch apart at 100 yrds and maybe a 4mph side wind. The 34.5gr were all within 3/4" dead center. Got to love that!!! I don`t think I`ll play with the grain, that is totally acceptable!!! Big question for everyone here that has been loading for years: I`ve learn`t to trickle powder to get bang on with the beam scale, but watching guys on "youtube" with turret presses and the powder measurer loads each shell. They are producing "quantity", but How exact is their powder loads??? If you guys say they are bang on, what are these guys in the videos using for a powder dispenser??? Thanks,Darcy

*crashb said: but How exact is their powder loads??? If you guys say they are bang on, what are these guys in the videos using for a powder dispenser??? Thanks,Darcy When starting, you may want to weight many or most of your loads until you are confident in your powder throw and technique (how you use it). After that, trickle-charging cases is a waste of time at ranges <=300 yards.

*TOM said: When starting, you may want to weight many or most of your loads until you are confident in your powder throw and technique (how you use it). After that, trickle-charging cases is a waste of time at ranges <=300 yards. What he said. It's a function of how much accuracy you want to wring out of your system. I would suggest that you try throwing the propellant and see how accurate the results are. (Most people weigh every 10th or 15th round anyway to ensure charge weight is accurate.) If your results throwing the powder are OK, then stick with it. If you find significant inconsistencies, then maybe you want to trickle every round. Edit - it's also a question of how many rounds are you going to be loading. If it's just 20 or so, then trickling isn't that much trouble. If it's 500 a week, then it would be a major pain.

b*n hunchak said: Hopefully folks that are just using the powder measure on a progressive machine are using powders that meter evenly, I find ball powders to be the best.

*TOM said: Hopefully folks that are just using the powder measure on a progressive machine are using powders that meter evenly, I find ball powders to be the best. Very good point.

L*ngshot said: Wow 8 rds is a batch? A batch for me is like 40-50 for testing.

*Magius said: I use a powder thrower, and using the long grain powders, I find I can keep 0.1 gr accuracy in what it dispenses if I double tap the handle during each cycle. Seems to settle all the powder better and keep things reliable. I weigh first & last (1'st & 5'th) when developing multiple loads for a rifle, and every tenth once I find a load that works. I also follow that up with a visual inspection of each case in the tray to ensure there are no half charges.

H*twheels81 said: Made my first batch of shells for my 22-250!! I made 4 with 34.5gr IMR4895 and Hornady 55gr bullets. The other 4 were 35gr IMR 4895 and Hornady 55gr bullets. With either shells, there were no signs of over pressure, but the 35gr were all over the target. Closest out of the 4 35gr were 2 which were maybe an inch apart at 100 yrds and maybe a 4mph side wind. The 34.5gr were all within 3/4" dead center. Got to love that!!! I don`t think I`ll play with the grain, that is totally acceptable!!! Big question for everyone here that has been loading for years: I`ve learn`t to trickle powder to get bang on with the beam scale, but watching guys on "youtube" with turret presses and the powder measurer loads each shell. They are producing "quantity", but How exact is their powder loads??? If you guys say they are bang on, what are these guys in the videos using for a powder dispenser??? Thanks,Darcy They are using spherical powder and good rhythm on the press! I have owned a Lee progressive and now have a Dillon Progressive, both are/were very consistent with pistol loads and they really need to be, while being a half grain out with rifle loads might just give you some pressure signs that much with a pistol load may result in a serious problem or Kaboom. I still use my Perfect Powder Measure and scale from the Lee 50th kit, it's a bit finicky throwing 4895 and won't toss RL-22 worth beans but that's why you buy a powder trickler, chances are if your that worried about a over charge because your load is a touch over max or your loading to get every bit of accuracy you can out of your rifle your going to weigh every charge anyway.